Have you ever uttered the words, “There’s just not enough time in the day to do everything I need to do…” Who hasn’t? In today’s high speed, high pressure, high stress world, it can be hard to find the balance that we’re looking for in our lives. And there are so many things that we need to balance – work, family, caring for others, caring for ourselves, household chores, errands, finding time for relaxation and leisure… the list goes on and on. Maintaining balance in our lives is so important, yet can feel so elusive. It’s such as popular topic that there’s a mountain of information about it. Simply Google search “finding balance in our lives” and you’ll be amazed at the number of results that pop up. So, why is it so hard to do?
Achieving life balance can often feel so challenging and frustrating because there is no quick fix. It’s an ongoing, lifetime project without a finite completion date. Where to begin? For starters, ask yourself some basic questions:
- How many hours of sleep do you get per night?
- Do you find yourself unable to spend enough time with your family?
- Are you satisfied with your energy and fitness levels?
- Do you normally work more than 12 hours per day?
- Is your work satisfying and rewarding?
- Do you feel like you have to do everything on your own or can you delegate work to others?
Once you’ve spent some time mulling over these questions and have more awareness of your current situation, it’s time to dig a little deeper and explore the following areas:
- What are your life balance goals? Define what really matters to you!
- How do you spend your time? Analyze your current activities and identify time wasters.
- How do you structure your day? Begin to prioritize your “to-dos”, examine your efficiency and where you can delegate.
- What boosts your energy? What drains it? Start to identify those energy drains. (Hint: this is one of the main causes of poor life balance!)
Remember, balance is a lifelong endeavor, so be prepared for challenges and changes! Your priorities can change, your life can suddenly take a different direction or any number of hurdles can come your way. The key is to have the tools in place to meet those challenges head on.
Life balance is not a destination, but a constant journey. And it’s a journey that you don’t have to take alone. Leah M Joppy and Associates has worked with many clients who are seeking a more fulfilling, balanced life. The coaching process helps you explore and define what life balance means for you and how to successfully achieve it step-by-step. Call us at 301-670-0051 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.