Remote work is becoming more and more common in the modern workplace and the number of remote workers is increasing every year. Technology has made it easier to embrace remote work, but it has also brought about new challenges when it comes to team communication. Here are some tips to help the wheels of communication keep rolling when you don’t work under the same roof:
- Establish standards for communication to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Make sure transparency is a priority. Share all documents, decisions, upcoming deadlines, etc. in one area.
- Find a balance between over-communicating and not communicating enough.
- Make sure new remote team members get to know the rest of the team via video chat.
- Use real-time communication technology.
- Be concise and get to the point at the beginning of messages!
- Always proofread and edit messages to avoid confusion.
- Give space when needed. If remote team members need to take a break from being accessible online to get something done, make sure they know they can do it.
Remote team members add another layer of challenge when it comes to workplace communication. But by using some strategic tactics, it doesn’t have to result in a communication meltdown! For more tips and advice on how to improve communication with remote employees, please call Leah M. Joppy and Associates at 301-670-0051 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.